Thursday 17 January 2013

FMP | Ross Neil Video Editor Logo Developments



A couple of weeks ago, I started to make initial contact and immediate, vector- based logo design developments after being contacted by Freelance Video Editor, Ross Neil, being propositioned to design a logo to help professionalise and promote his existing portfolio and body of work in order to obtain more clients.

Through a series of emails (seen below) Ross explained some of the ideas he had himself for the logo, wanting something quite clean, contemporary, minimal, and playing upon the icons and symbols associated with Video Editing, particularly liking the 'Copy + Paste' idea of using an icon of scissors.

Over a period of a couple of weeks, Ross and I sent ideas back and forth, and he was particularly helpful and receptive when it came to offering feedback, both from him personally along with peers and other members of the industry.

I decided to use the typeface Mensch in uppercase as I felt this was reflective of the boldness and impact that Ross hopes to achieve with his work, but with rounded corners is not too visually offensive, and still quite "friendly" to look at, again, combining the playful, rounded vector iconography and images used with a red and black colour palette for a bold and sharp aesthetic that would hopefully really stand out amongst his contemporaries.

For the brief/commission itself, all Ross asked for was the development of the logo, and even at this point it was cut a little short as he was left a little undecided at this point what he was looking for, so we arranged for me to send a PDF "pack" of the icons produced for Ross to experiment with, and apply as necessary at a later stage (though personally, I was perhaps most pleased with the logo at the top of the page, left... which I felt could be an interesting concept to play around with for his brand stationary in terms of perforations and the way that that this print finish could be used to communicate with the clients, industry, etc).

Therefore, I think, at this stage, this additional project will be abandoned as it doesn't have enough scope for real-world development. Should I feel I have time, or the need to expand upon my range of briefs throughout the Final Major Project at a later stage, then I'd definitely like to return to the brief, but, hopefully, not I can focus my time on the development of research and design application for my other, more significant projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment