Wednesday 30 January 2013

FMP | Body Copy & Type for Jung Myers - Briggs : Typology Editorial Publication



This afternoon I began developing research and experimentation for the application and use of type throughout my editorial design publication for the Jung Myers - Briggs : Typology brief, to work for both headers and body copy.

Researching both online forums for suggested suitable typefaces for both of these areas, I experimented briefly with Serif type, but felt, ultimately, that Sans Serif was far more appropriate, as influenced by, and hoping to reflect the aesthetic of minimalistic 1960's Swiss Design, of which, particularly in Josef Muller- Brockmann's designs, Helvetica was frequently used. However, I still wanted the publication to maintain a sense of originality, and looking closely at the details and anatomy of each letterform through selected typefaces, I found myself particularly drawn to Frutiger, though felt a few of the letterforms didn't appear to have such a visual consistency with the rest of the letters, particularly the 'a'. 

I decided, therefore, to go for another font I was fond of in the experimentation stages, through both the header and body copy, choosing Avenir (shown throughout examples at the bottom of the page), as the variety of weights lends itself to a great deal of diversity, whilst still remaining characteristically minimal and distinctively rounded to add character.



No comments:

Post a Comment